YOUTUBE VIDEOS

MY VIDEOS:
THE CORPORATION:

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO MONSANTO:

ZEITGEIST ADDENDUM:

WHY WE FIGHT:

IRAQ FOR SALE:

MASTERS OF MONEY:

AN UNREASONABLE MAN PART I:

AN UNREASONABLE MAN PART II:

WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR:

THE GREAT GLOBAL WARMING SWINDLE:

SICKO:

SUPER SIZE ME:

SWEET MISERY - A POISONED WORLD:

Saturday, April 18, 2009

THANK YOU & CLARIFICATION ON SOME POINTS


First, I just want to personally thank everyone that helped spread the word and share the video with the youtube community. Some people may see that video and the support as a negative thing, but I completely disagree. That video brought out the REAL youtube community and the community came together to try to help keep something that we all enjoyed around for a while.

Many of us have spent years on the site and never made a dime off of it. We make videos because we enjoy it. That is what came out this last week, the passion for people to still share their work with the youtube community. Some people never get why I do what I do and why I make videos like this. I do it so that the next guy can have a shot at success. I have already had some decent success at building an audience. There is nothing like it.

I remember when the very first person subscribed to my channel, I felt like “ok at least one person thinks my video was not horrible.” I think most people are a little bit nervous when they start making videos wondering if people will like them or not. The thing that frustrates me the most is the simple fact that I know that if I were to start a channel today and make the very same videos, no one would ever see them and I would be thinking that there was something wrong with my work and that they really were not any good.

I was lucky to have started when I did. I was part of the last wave of users that actually had their fate decided by the users. Now I see that the way things are changing here on youtube, that you no longer will have your fate determined by the community. If you have any shot at all, it will be because you have insane talent or they just happen to like you. That is pretty much it.

I need to clarify a few things from my last video, for the record. Some things may have been taken out of context or simply misunderstood.

#1: Yes, I think we all understand that youtube is a business; they need to make money, but keep in mind that many sites like facebook, myspace, blip and revver all provide services for free and don’t treat their own users like they are a burden. So to act like youtube, is doing the world a favor for having this site, is flat out ignorant. Do you have any idea how many sites, right now, would give anything to be in youtube’s position? All of them! They might actually know how to make it profitable. So quit telling me these sob stories, about how they are losing money. Other companies are providing free services, to their customers, and they actually show their customers respect, unlike youtube.

Youtube has some big partners they take care of, but not once in 2 years and over 250 videos, have they ever tried to even get back to me on any issue. THIS WHOLE MESS RIGHT NOW COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED HAD THEY SHOWN SOME RESPECT FOR THEIR OWN CUSTOMERS! It is that simple! I think most of us can be pretty understanding if we are treated with a little respect.

If you notice, those 2 videos are still flagged as well. It is almost like a war of wills with them and they just can’t admit when they are wrong. Just go to both of those videos and read the comments, virtually every one of them is bitching at youtube for allowing them to be flagged, yet they are still flagged.

I am one of the lucky ones. Many people have lost their videos completely and youtube could have embraced the community a lot more than they have. Is it really that hard to reply to an email? Not once have I ever heard back from them when I contacted them regarding any real issue. I even sent an email to youtube, after the Viacom vs You video went viral, but never heard back from them. I really hope you check out this video “Who is to blame” and “DMCA Reform” after you read this, to put this all into perspective.

#2: This is very important, I don’t care if every corporation on the planet has a channel on youtube. The only thing I ask is that they are not plastered all over the site, giving them an unfair advantage over the other video makers. That is why youtube has advertisements, in the first place.

If they make it to the top of any lists, because their videos are good, more power to them. There is nothing wrong with that, but just shoving them on the popular page 24/7 is what bothers most of us. My point, all along, is that the community should be the ones to decide: what rises on youtube and what falls off of its lists. Is that so hard to understand? I am not against business. I am against having a race with someone, and giving me running shoes, and giving these businesses a Ferrari. Who do you think will win with that type of advantage? They have all the content in the world, and they should be able to rise to the top, without all these features and popular plants, on the youtube’s most viewed front page.


#3: This last video had nothing to do with Hulu being a bad thing. There is nothing wrong, with hulu as a website, and I congratulate them on having a site that is working, and is entertaining people. This was NEVER, meant to be an attack, on Hulu in any way, so please, STOP sending them, any kind of hate mail.

And No, they did not ask me to say this, or contact me in any way. This is about youtube, not hulu. Had it not been for this article, putting the two together, I would never have thought to associate the two. I really don’t watch, that much TV programming or go to hulu.com. Also, if some people thought that youtube was going to self destruct and the world was going to end when the changes took place, that is not what I said at all.

I said they were phasing us out of youtube, Phasing definition “phase out - To bring or come to an end, one stage at a time,” not pressing a delete button. I have watched, first hand, many channels, video views, go way down in the last 6 months. If you look at most of the non-partner channels, you will see that is true. I also never said youtube was going anywhere, I said “you” were.

#4: Finally, please do not mirror my video hulu tube on youtube anymore. At this point it is becoming spam and none of us want that. So please tell everyone that the point has been made, and the video gained attention for an issue that was obviously very important to may users.

Also again, no youtube did not contact me, and ask me to say this. The sad thing is, youtube has still never ever contacted me about any of these discretions about the site.

I do want to take a moment to thank all the people that help spread the word again, and let people know that you care about this site, and the direction it was headed. I will do a full proper video on this later.

No comments: